Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cook'in with Camtasia

Greetings Everyone
I just finished making my thirtieth (30) video for my flipping introductory biology class.  I have learned much about the process and want to share a few things.

  • More pictures, videos and animations and less words.  I started using my Powerpoint. and screen-casting myself presenting my power-point but I soon realized that was same kind of presentation I had been doing in class and the kind I wanted to change.  So I quickly changed my ways ( need to go back and change some of those first videos) and now, I use the PowerPoint lectures as a foundation.  I hide all the word  slides and use them as the script for the images.  I interweave videos and animations in between my descriptions to make them more active presentation.

  • Camtasia will allow you to  remove the sound track and talk over an animation.  I do this when the animation is excellent but the description just does not fit my material.  This flexibility can really help to create screen-casts for your particular student population.

  • A good picture is as good as a video.  Especially if you use the Camtasia tools like zooming in and call-outs.  You can make a dynamic presentation with just a still photo.

  • Record those great flash animations and gifs and then use them as demonstrations.  I have a particular flash animation about diffusion that allows me to change the temperature, size of the balls, and other parameters.  I used it to create a video to explain the movement of matter and diffusion.  It was very visual and made the point well.
While producing thirty videos is an accomplishment, I need to make about 30 more.  But, I am flipping ready to meet the challenge.

stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment