Friday, March 27, 2020

YC Faculty Blog Spot - How is the Transition Going? What help do you need? What help can you give?

Hello everyone,
In an effort to keep us connected and to answer question about remote and online learning, I decided to pull out my old sabbatical blog.

Let's use this post to discuss and ask questions about how do the work for which we now face.  For example, an instructor recently inquired about the Whiteboard in canvas.  I do not use this tool but maybe someone out there does and he could ask his question to the all reading or using this blog.  So for now, I welcome you to use this blog space.

Here are some thoughts from this past week.
I started this whole process thinking I would teach my labs face to face.  Then, within what seemed a week of time but was just a day, I had to replan and rethink my class and lab.  I have done this about 3 more times since the start.  I feel I am getting closer to something that is reasonable and humane for me and my students.
I have found that talking to students about their needs during my zoom sessions has been the best use of this tool.  Currently, I use a combination of recording my lecture for asynchronous teaching, zoom lectures for synchronous and zoom question and answer sessions.  I record all zoom sessions and post them by external url tools in canvas into a module I have created just for zoom recordings.  I also post any subject recordings in the chapter modules as well.  I have made all of it optional for students.  They can choose how they want to get the information.  Everytime I post something, I send an announcement.  Everytime something is due, I send an announcement.  I just pushing notes and announcements and tips and questions.  Some answer, some do not.  It's okay because I can see they are handing in work and trying to get the assignment done.  Yesterday, was a online laboratory practical.  Typically, this test filled with models, microscopes and dissections. It become pictures and questions in a canvas quiz.  Thus, far in the grading, it seems similar to when we were face to face and only a small number of responses seem copied and pasted.  It seems good to me right now.

Be well and take care all.  Linda Staffero

9 comments:

  1. it takes way more time to prep to teach remote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, it took me four days to write the lab practical exam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the good side is that we will be ready for next time... that is if it happens on the same "weeks" ... but truly the experience will help in the future

      Delete
  3. I feel as if I am becoming one with my Zoom and computer...."We are Zoom....Resistance is Futile....You will be assimilated...!!!" LOL!

    On a more serious note, How do you get pics into your Canvas quizes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a video for you but here is a summary
      You are in a quiz question in edit
      Then, you select the image tool from the editing tools
      A box will appear - here you can upload the image from your computer or you can select the image if you have already uploaded into your course files
      So for the first option - select the upload function, select a file in your canvas file to where it will be saved give it an alt text phrase, then upload. Then scroll to the bottom of the box and finish process. You image should appear in the text box for the question.
      Second method. you select the file in your canvas files already and then finish the process.
      Hope that helps LS

      Delete
  4. Thanks for doing this. I have also been using a lot of announcements, without the face to face time its helpful to have the reminders. I also posted a Discussion section asking the students to say "Here" if they were planning on finishing out the semester and staying active, and the results were reassuring (maybe this helps them feel committed too). At first I tried to use a Lockdown browser for an exam, but I realized it was too much to ask, since it requires students to download software. I'm mostly trying to keep things simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. Thank you for keeping us connected! -Cristina Baggio, Head Womens Soccer Coach

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://ycfacultyremoteandonlinelearning.blogspot.com
    Switch to this blog site for future postings

    ReplyDelete